Pastor Thomas Costello spoke on Luke 9:51-62. He talked about four different encounters that Jesus had as he fixed his eyes on Jerusalem.
51 As the time approached for him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem. 52 And he sent messengers on ahead, who went into a Samaritan village to get things ready for him; 53 but the people there did not welcome him, because he was heading for Jerusalem. 54 When the disciples James and John saw this, they asked, “Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them[b]?” 55 But Jesus turned and rebuked them. 56 Then he and his disciples went to another village.
The Cost of Following Jesus
57 As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.”
58 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”
59 He said to another man, “Follow me.”
But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”
60 Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”
61 Still another said, “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.”
62 Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”
Questions for Further Thought and Discussion:
- This passage has 4 examples of things we often put ahead of following Jesus. As you study this passage alone or with your group this week, be honest as you ask yourself: are any of these in the way for you?
- Your TRIBE – are you holding back from fully giving everything to Jesus because of the way you are identified? Your race/gender/sexual orientation/job/politics?
- Your COMFORT – is there anything in your life you are unwilling to sacrifice in order to follow Jesus?
- Your SECURITY – Do you find yourself saying, “When I….” or “After I….” “I will fully commit to following Jesus or obeying him or doing a specific task for him, etc…” Is timing or even fear holding you back?
- Your REPUTATION – Do you find the approval of others more important than trusting in Jesus? Family, friends, co-workers, do they influence your life choices instead of what you know Jesus wants for you?