Pastor Thomas Costello spoke on Luke 9:10-17. He talked about the time Jesus fed the 5,000 people and how God will multiply things that are blessed.
Jesus Feeds the Five Thousand
10 When the apostles returned, they reported to Jesus what they had done. Then he took them with him and they withdrew by themselves to a town called Bethsaida, 11 but the crowds learned about it and followed him. He welcomed them and spoke to them about the kingdom of God, and healed those who needed healing.
12 Late in the afternoon the Twelve came to him and said, “Send the crowd away so they can go to the surrounding villages and countryside and find food and lodging, because we are in a remote place here.”
13 He replied, “You give them something to eat.”
They answered, “We have only five loaves of bread and two fish—unless we go and buy food for all this crowd.” 14 (About five thousand men were there.)
But he said to his disciples, “Have them sit down in groups of about fifty each.” 15 The disciples did so, and everyone sat down. 16 Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke them. Then he gave them to the disciples to distribute to the people. 17 They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over.
Questions for Further Thought and Discussion:
- Re-read the passage and look for anything interesting that you may not have noticed before. What do you see?
- What can we learn about Jesus from this passage?
- Pastor Thomas used this passage to teach us that “God multiplies things that are blessed.” What does this mean to you?
- He also said, “For our resources to be multiplied, we need to give them away.” How can implement this in your life?
- Have you seen God bless your own resources in your life? Share any of your stories with your group.