Pastor Thomas Costello spoke on Luke 9:18-27. He talked about the primary name of Jesus and asked these two questions:
- Who do you say Jesus is?
- Are you willing to sacrifice everything for the cause of Jesus and what he has called you to do?
Peter Declares That Jesus Is the Messiah
18 Once when Jesus was praying in private and his disciples were with him, he asked them, “Who do the crowds say I am?”
19 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, that one of the prophets of long ago has come back to life.”
20 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
Peter answered, “God’s Messiah.”
Jesus Predicts His Death
21 Jesus strictly warned them not to tell this to anyone. 22 And he said, “The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.”
23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. 25 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self? 26 Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.
27 “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God.”
QUESTIONS FOR FURTHER THOUGHT AND DISCUSSION:
- Just for fun, what is a nickname you have been given in your life?
- When you think of the word MESSIAH, what does it mean to you?
- This word carries with it the idea that we are to surrender ALL to Jesus. Have you done this? Or have you found this challenging in your life?
- Is it surprising to hear/read that there is a definite cost to following Christ? Have you considered this before?
- Have you encountered the cost that Jesus talks about, in your own life?