Pastor Thomas Costello continued the series on John’s letters. He talked about how John addressed three claims that people make about sin.
- People claim sin is no big deal
- People claim they don’t sin anymore
- People claim they have never been a sinner
1 John 1:5-2:2
Light and Darkness, Sin and Forgiveness
5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all[b] sin.
8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.
2 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.
Questions for Further Thought and Discussion:
- Discuss the topic of SIN. What is sin exactly? Why should we avoid it?
- Pastor Thomas talked about the power of confessing our sins to one another. Have you had any experience doing that in your life? How has it helped you?
- When you first accepted Christ, did it seem easier to NOT sin? Has that changed as your relationship has deepened?
- How do you try to avoid sin when temptation is all around you?
- What does it mean to you that we have an “advocate with the Father” when we DO sin?