Pastor Thomas Costello spoke about how we need to fish for people. He shared three things to keep in mind as we do this:
- Use the right bait – Tell stories of the Goodness of God.
- Get our hooks into the water – Get our stories out there.
- Go fishing where there are fish – Tell our stories where there are people that need to hear them.
Jesus Calls His First Disciples
16 As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen.17 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 18 At once they left their nets and followed him.
19 When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. 20 Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;
blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
Questions for Further Thought or Discussion
- In your life, what is the best thing God has done for you? Share that story with your group.
- How does it make you feel to hear the terms “fishing for people”? What is your experience with this idea?
- Has someone shared their story with you? How did it affect you?
- Have you ever shared your own story with someone? How did it go?
- If you have time in your group this week or on your own, take the time to share your story with your group or write it down.