Pastor Mellissa Costello spoke on Luke 20:27-40. She talked about how the Sadducees questioned Jesus on the resurrection.
The Resurrection and Marriage
27 Some of the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to Jesus with a question. 28 “Teacher,” they said, “Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies and leaves a wife but no children, the man must marry the widow and raise up offspring for his brother. 29 Now there were seven brothers. The first one married a woman and died childless. 30 The second 31 and then the third married her, and in the same way the seven died, leaving no children. 32 Finally, the woman died too. 33 Now then, at the resurrection whose wife will she be, since the seven were married to her?”
34 Jesus replied, “The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. 35 But those who are considered worthy of taking part in the age to come and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, 36 and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God’s children, since they are children of the resurrection. 37 But in the account of the burning bush, even Moses showed that the dead rise, for he calls the Lord ‘the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’[b] 38 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive.”
39 Some of the teachers of the law responded, “Well said, teacher!” 40 And no one dared to ask him any more questions.
Questions for Further Thought and Discussion:
- For fun, and related to Pastor Mellissa’s intro, can you think of phrases Christians use that the world doesn’t understand? (“Washed by the blood, etc.)
- Read what Jesus says about heaven in verses 20:35-36. Discuss it with your group – how do you feel about what’s to come?
- Pastor Mellissa mentioned the truth that “in heaven the people we love will not have a single emotional void in their lives”. How does this statement affect you?
- Another interesting idea that Mellissa mentioned was that “Marriage can be a distraction to your relationship with Jesus.” Is there anything in your life that you know is a distraction from your relationship with Him?
- We are made to exist forever in some way (heaven or hell). This passage says that God sees us all as alive. How do you feel about this??