Pastor Thomas Costello spoke on Nehemiah 6:16-7:3. He used this passage to show leadership lessons we could learn from Nehemiah.
- Live by our own internal scorecard.
- Delegate responsibility.
- Always be pouring into someone else.
Opposition to the Completed Wall
16 When all our enemies heard about this, all the surrounding nations were afraid and lost their self-confidence, because they realized that this work had been done with the help of our God.
17 Also, in those days the nobles of Judah were sending many letters to Tobiah, and replies from Tobiah kept coming to them. 18 For many in Judah were under oath to him, since he was son-in-law to Shekaniah son of Arah, and his son Jehohanan had married the daughter of Meshullam son of Berekiah. 19 Moreover, they kept reporting to me his good deeds and then telling him what I said. And Tobiah sent letters to intimidate me.
7 After the wall had been rebuilt and I had set the doors in place, the gatekeepers, the musicians and the Levites were appointed. 2 I put in charge of Jerusalem my brother Hanani, along with Hananiah the commander of the citadel, because he was a man of integrity and fearedGod more than most people do. 3 I said to them, “The gates of Jerusalem are not to be opened until the sun is hot. While the gatekeepers are still on duty, have them shut the doors and bar them. Also appoint residents of Jerusalem as guards, some at their posts and some near their own houses.”
Questions for Further Thought and Discussion
- A leader lives by a high personal standard and sticks to it. Do you have the strength to stick what you have committed yourself to, no matter what?
- Do you have an example of when you were tested and stood up to that?
- Delegating is a really difficult thing to do! Have you had to lead a team of people and not do all the work yourself? How did that go?
- Have you ever had to ask for help in other areas of your life? How did it affect you? What about the people you asked?
- Have you ever been poured into by a leader? How did that impact your life?
- Do you have someone in your life that you are investing in?