Pastor Thomas Costello spoke on 1 John 3:11-18. He talked about how love isn’t just words, but it’s the way we live. Pastor Thomas described love as passion that is backed up with action.
1 John 3:11-18
More on Love and Hatred
11 For this is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another. 12 Do not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own actions were evil and his brother’s were righteous. 13 Do not be surprised, my brothers and sisters,[b] if the world hates you. 14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death. 15 Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him.
16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. 17 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.
Questions for Further Thought and Discussion
- Get vulnerable with yourself and your group: is there some of Cain in you? Is jealousy something you struggle with in your life?
- How would your life be different if you could release that jealousy and actually put into practice what Jesus says about loving each other?
- How can you choose to “love in action” in your own life?
- What would it look like to “love in truth”?
- Is there a need in the life of someone you know that you could fill, even though it would mean “laying down” a lot of your life?