Pastor Thomas Costello spoke on Matthew 1:18-25. He talked about the story of Mary and Joseph learning they were going to have a child. Pastor Thomas gave us three takeaways from this story:
- Like Mary, God doesn’t care about our pedigree. God cares about our passion.
- Like Joseph, we should all be people of great mercy.
- When God calls us we should say yes and continue to be faithful in all of the little things in life.
Joseph Accepts Jesus as His Son
18 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about[d]: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. 19 Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet[e] did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.
20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,[f] because he will save his people from their sins.”
22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”[g] (which means “God with us”).
24 When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. 25 But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.
Questions for Further Thought and Discussion
- If God can use someone like Mary, he can use YOU! What kinds of things would you love to do for God?
- Joseph showed Godly mercy to Mary when he was willing to “divorce her quietly”. Is there someone in your life you need to show mercy? Share this with your group.
- Have you been feeling nudged toward something in your life that you need to say YES to for God? Talk about some of those things with your group.