Pastor Thomas Costello spoke on 1 John 2:18-27. He said that when we know the truth we are less susceptible to lies and deception and gave two instructions help protect from deception.
- Remain in the truth.
- Remain in the Holy Spirit.
1 John 2:18-27
Warnings Against Denying the Son
18 Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.
20 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth.[e] 21 I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth. 22 Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist—denying the Father and the Son. 23 No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.
24 As for you, see that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. 25 And this is what he promised us—eternal life.
26 I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. 27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.
Questions for Further Thought and Discussion
- We learned today that when we accept Jesus, the Holy Spirit comes to live IN us. Have you ever experienced the work of the Holy Spirit in your life?
- What is your relationship with the HS now? Is he a part of your everyday life?
- Is your life directed by the Holy Spirit or more directed by your own desires? By the things you want or the things God wants for your life?
- What does it mean to “remain in Him”? What does that look like in your actual life?
- How devoted are you to the Word? What part does it play in your life?