Pastor Thomas Costello spoke on 1 John 4:7-16. He talked about God being the source of our love and that God’s love is totally reliable.
1 John 4:7-16
God’s Love and Ours
7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.
13 This is how we know that we live in him and he in us: He has given us of his Spirit. 14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15 If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God. 16 And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.
Questions for Further Thought and Discussion:
- Pastor Thomas defined love in the bible as “passion with action that benefits other people at your own expense.” What are your thoughts on this definition?
- Have you ever encountered or actually achieved this kind of love?
- We also heard about the idea of HELL. It’s big topic, but how do you reconcile the truth of a loving God that allows this place to exist and the way that Pastor Thomas described it? Be open with your group about this.
- How does it affect your life that God’s love is “completely reliable”? Have you experienced this?
- Read Romans 8:38-39 together. How does this verse impact your life?