Pastor Mellissa Costello spoke on Luke 9:1-9. She talked about how Jesus gave the disciples the power and authority to go out and share God’s message.
We apologize for the audio quality of this sermon.
Jesus Sends Out the Twelve
9 When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, 2 and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. 3 He told them: “Take nothing for the journey—no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra shirt. 4 Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that town. 5 If people do not welcome you, leave their town and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.” 6 So they set out and went from village to village, proclaiming the good news and healing people everywhere.
7 Now Herod the tetrarch heard about all that was going on. And he was perplexed because some were saying that John had been raised from the dead, 8 others that Elijah had appeared, and still others that one of the prophets of long ago had come back to life. 9 But Herod said, “I beheaded John. Who, then, is this I hear such things about?” And he tried to see him.
Questions for Further Thought and Discussion:
- Who do you trust most with your life?
- What if you were called to go out into the world as these disciples were? Could you handle it?
- Have you ever taken a leap of faith for God?
- Herod had only ever heard of Jesus from others and from rumors, but had never met him or had any personal experience with him. What about you? Have you had your own personal experience with Jesus that has caused you to trust him? Share your story.
- If you haven’t, share what you DO know of Jesus and if you are ready to experience him. Open up with your group and be honest!