Pastor Thomas Costello spoke on 1 John 5:1-5. He gave three things to think about when trying to overcome sin:
- Do not give up
- You cannot do it apart from God
- As much as you can’t, God can have victory over sin.
1 John 5:1-5
Faith in the Incarnate Son of God
5 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. 2 This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. 3 In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, 4 for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. 5 Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.
Questions for Further Thought and Discussion
- In this passage, we are told that loving God includes loving “his child as well”, which means loving other Christians. Sometimes that can be tough. How does that sound to you? Easy or difficult?
- Verse 3 claims that God’s commands are “not burdensome”. Would you agree with that??
- Verse 4 is very encouraging. “For everyone born of God overcomes the world.” Have you experienced this in your life? Share something that you have actually overcome, and how that went.
- Perhaps you are having the opposite experience right now. Maybe you are having a lot of trouble in your life with something that you can’t overcome. Your Community Group should be a place where you are able to share this, so if you are comfortable, we hope you would be able to open up about this. If not, do find someone in your life with whom you can share your struggle, because we do want you to find victory.