Pastor Thomas Costello spoke on putting God first in our finances. He said that when we put God first in our finances everything else comes into order.
13 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Consecrate to me every firstborn male.The first offspring of every womb among the Israelites belongs to me, whether human or animal.”
12 you are to give over to the Lord the first offspring of every womb. All the firstborn males of your livestock belong to the Lord. 13 Redeem with a lamb every firstborn donkey, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem every firstborn among your sons.
9 Honor the Lord with your wealth,
with the firstfruits of all your crops;
10 then your barns will be filled to overflowing,
and your vats will brim over with new wine.
19 “Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the Lordyour God.
“Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.
3 In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the Lord.4 And Abel also brought an offering—fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, 5 but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.
30 “‘A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord.
14 “In days to come, when your son asks you, ‘What does this mean?’ say to him, ‘With a mighty hand the Lord brought us out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. 15 When Pharaoh stubbornly refused to let us go, the Lord killed the firstborn of both people and animals in Egypt. This is why I sacrifice to the Lord the first male offspring of every womb and redeem each of my firstborn sons.’ 16 And it will be like a sign on your hand and a symbol on your forehead that the Lord brought us out of Egypt with his mighty hand.”
QUESTIONS FOR FURTHER THOUGHT AND DISCUSSION
- The question of the day was “What was your first job?” Share this with your group just for fun!
- Tithing is a tricky, but important subject to talk about as follower of Christ. It can be something that can change your life, but not something we really enjoy talking about. What is your experience with tithing in the past?
- Talk about the difference between TITHES and OFFERINGS and how this should work. Does this make sense to you?
- The passage clearly says to “bring our firstfruits” and not to “give” them, because they belong to God. How do feel about this?
- Read Proverbs 3:9-10. Have you experienced this in your own life?